Sunday, January 20, 2008

English class




It was the first day of the school, Chemistry class had just ended. I asked around to find out what was the next lesson. ”English!” replied Mani, who sat next to me. I thought of who our English teacher would be. “Since Mr Hamilton just walked past our class, he surely won’t be our teacher this year.” I said to myself.

After a while, a female teacher entered the classroom. She introduced herself as Madam Ow. Madam Ow told us that there will be a “Quote of the day” and the “Word of the day” for every English class. Apart from that, she also introduced a “Speak English Only” Scheme to the class. For example, those who were caught speaking in a language other than English would get 1 strike. After getting 5 strikes, a one dollar fine would be given to the student. The student would then pay the amount to the treasurer, Joshua. My prediction of who would pay the most would be Sid as he frequently speaks other languages in class.

In my opinion, these schemes are great ways to improve one’s vocabulary. Eventually, the students would drop the habit of speaking other languages during English class.

Interestingly, when I logged onto the Internet that very same afternoon to find out more about what others in the country are doing to encourage the “Speak Good English” movement, I came across the following photos that I found absolutely funny:


Example 1 – this should read: “Do not eat in this area”, and not “Do not eat this area”.

Example 2 - It really should say:
"You may pay for your purchases at either level 1 or at basement counters", not "both".


No comments: