Sunday, January 20, 2008

Patricians vs Victorians



In the past one year, I have had few bad encounters with the upper secondary students of St Patrick. Hereinafter, I will refer them as Patricians.

Once, when I was taking bus 76 to school, a group of Patricians boarded the bus few stops after me. Initially, the journey seemed well until they were about to alight the bus. As they were seating behind me, one of them, probably the leader of the group, banged the back of my seat with his hand when he walked pass me. Next, they started insulting me as they took their time to alight the bus. They hissed remarks such as “VS sucks! So sissy!”

As I sat and watched them with shock, one of them turned and looked at me again as they left the bus. Some of the passengers shook their heads in disapproval for what the boys had done. At that time, I was not frightened or scared by their act but instead, I was appalled by their behaviour in public.

Another encounter took place in a rainy day. On my way home, I came across another group of Patricians. They were making jokes about their teachers and gossiping loudly. As they were a bigger group, I took the initiative to give way to them on the pedestrian path and I walked closer to the road.

What a BIG mistake! Splash! A speedy car drove by and the next second I was drenched by the water on the road which the car ran onto. I remembered writing one such composition before, “A Rainy Day”. I thought this only happened in writing however it does happen in reality. The boys roared with laughters. “Eh Victorian, did you pee in your shorts!” cried one of them. I kept silent as I tried to control my emotions and temper.

I used to have a good impression of the Patricians and the school as I went to their Open House in 2006. I do not understand what they will get by making fun of others. As I was a freshman at Victoria, I do not know what has happened in the past. Is it us? Or are they just like that? I hope these are just minority or black sheeps among the Patricians as I believe there are many true Patricians out there who are nicer people that those I met!

No comments: